Monday, February 8, 2010

Chinatown - Chinese New Year 2010 Shopping Part 3

A must for the chinese family is a candied box/tray where we placed all sorts of candies with auspicious names. The candied box/tray consists of eight compartments and the tray meaning togetherness.

Melon Seeds (best is the red melon seeds) which mean the more melon seeds you eat, you will have more children .

This is the green tea melon seeds which is not so popular.
Sweetened lotus roots symbolising abundance, sweetened lotus seeds symbolising fertility, and all kinds of candies symbolising long-term sweetness.

2 comments:

CC said...

My friend..as always you have made me want to visit your beautiful country..and have some of the wonderful food. It all looks so good,I wouldn't know where to begin.
I love when you tell of your traditions and the meaning of them..you do it so well. Hugs to you my friend..Happy soon to be New Year.

alicesg said...

Thank you CC. I am not a good writer but will try to provide more information.