Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Walking Trip - Part 2 - Henderson Waves

Continuing from my yesterday post. This is the famous and latest attraction of Singapore. The bridge is the highest pedestrian bridge in Singapore and the bridge link Mount Faber and Telok Blangah Hill. It is about 36 metres tall and 274 metre long.

I love the view from here and at night the bridge glows. You can view the night photo from Mable's Blog.

Do you think it look like the body of a dragon?



The bridge has a wave-form made up of seven undulating curved steel ribs that alternately rise over and under its deck. The curved ribs form alcoves that function as shelters with seats within. Slats of yellow balau wood, an all-weather timber found in South-East Asia, are used in the decking. The wave-forms are lit with LED light at night from 7pm to 2am daily. (Source from wikipedia. )


A short video of the street below from where I was standing at Henderson Waves.

At the end of the video, you could see and heard a group of university students (they are having school vacation now), they are participating in an amazing race. As we walked, we encountered many of them and it is fun to watch them in their activities. I will featured few more photos of them as I post on my walk.

Please visit "That's my World" for other parts of the world.

18 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Alicesg:
Oh wow what a view. It is absolutely beautiful. You know it does look like the body of a dragon, and then to be lit up at night. An architect did a most amazing job. Keep touring as I can't wait to see more. Thanks so much for sharing. It is absolutely beautiful. I love taking tours that I would normally not get to see. Have a wonderful day. Country Hugs, Sherry

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Alice: That is some bridge and you are up high as you cross it.

Richard Lawry said...

Really cool bridge.

An Arkies Musings

alicesg said...

Yes, this is one beautiful bridge especially at night. During the day, you might encountered some monkeys too. It cost a lot of money to built this bridge but admission to this bridge is free. Singaporeans are not complaining cause it is money well spend for our enjoyment and leisure. I will go back again.

Rajesh said...

That is unique. The height of bridge is too much. I just can not imagine how beautiful would be the view around from such a height.

Oman said...

that is indeed interesting. a walk through it would be amazing. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

a walk to this bridge it must be a great experience. wonderful captures

escape said...

wow! ill definitely like that place. first to see that here. so cool!

Irene said...

Alice, I haven't been there so I'm gonna follow your walk:)

alicesg said...

Irene, I am sure you will like it. You can start from Henderon Waves instead of Mount Faber if you do not want to climb the many stairs and steps at Mount Faber. You might like to see the bus no. to go there from Habour Front MRT Station.
http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home/what_to_see/parks___nature_reserves/Southern_Ridges.html

Jim Klenke said...

I think I would get dizzy looking at that bridge.

Anya said...

Its a very BEAUTIFUL place Alice:)
The video is fantastic !!!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Alicesg,
Maybe Moma got the last laugh, as now you take her with you. Maybe that is what she wanted all along to be able to go to. Now she can go, and she can get what she wants. What a game that is? Ha!Ha!Ha! She is wise beyond her years Alicesg. Thanks for sharing. I have loved this trip. Where are we going next? Country Hugs, Sherry

alicesg said...

Sherry, you are absolutely right but so sad mom is no longer around anymore since 1995. But she died a happy person cause she had five filial children who bring her around in and out of Singapore. That's was one of her last words she told me on her death bed and she died holding my hands, guess I am so much closer to her. Now I think I am going to cry. :(

Indrani said...

I hope to be in Singapore soon. Great shots here.

alicesg said...

Indrani, hope you have a fun time in Singapore. :)

Alexander said...

Wow! Awesome! I never knew Singapore would have such nice and exciting stuff. haha... That will be on my list of things to do the next time I go back home. Thanks Alice for capturing this fantastic photos.

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

alicesg said...

Alex, you must take the forest walk too. There's a lot of changes and I hope to cover more new places in my blog. :)