Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Community Club

This area used to be a sleepy small village with many attap houses. Attap houses are houses with attap leaves as their roof and the name attap is named after the tree.


I remember seeing cows and goats in here when I was a very young child. Now flats are spotted here. I used to stay around this area but shifted out when my brother bought a flat and my other sisters and myself got married and got our own home too. This area is very old at least more than 30 to 40 years old. The flat that I used to stay are all demolished, I will talk about it at later post. I will post a photo of my old home in later post.

This area is known as Whampoa named after a well known Chinese named Hoo Ah Kay, Whampoa (1816-1880). You can view his history from here.

This is Whampoa Community Club where residents can come here to meet up or join any activities that the CC organises. Noticed the name of the CC are in four different languages, Malay, Chinese Tamil and English. We are a multi racial country and the CC is for all races.



Some of the activities organised by the CC.



Please visit "That's my World" for other parts of the world.

8 comments:

Photo Cache said...

The yellow paint is very attractive. So this is where you grew up?

Unknown said...

Nice building with a striking color :P

L. Neusiedler said...

I guess you prove that people of many races can live together, and also have fun :)!

alicesg said...

PC, this is near where I grow up, I will post a very old photo of my old home.

SandyCarlson said...

That's a really beautiful place. I love the colors.

Mahmud Yussop said...

Very modern looking building.Good environment for activities and social gathering.

Anya said...

LOVELY color :)
Very modern color for a building!

Rambling Woods said...

I hadn't heard of the 'tamil' language before...here everything is in english and spanish...