Thursday, May 8, 2008

Egg with two yolks


Do you find strange things like this? I break an egg and found two yolks in it. I wondered if it is safe to eat, so I google and found this information.

Quote:
Some hens will lay double-yolked eggs as the result of unsynchronized production cycles. Although heredity causes some hens to have a higher propensity to lay double-yolked eggs, these occur more frequently as occasional abnormalities in young hens beginning to lay. Usually a double-yolked egg will be longer and thinner than an ordinary single-yolk egg. Double-yolked eggs occur rarely, only leading to observed successful hatchings under human intervention, as the unborn chickens would otherwise fight each other and die.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_(food

10 comments:

Gerald (SK14) said...

had a double-yoked egg the other week - absolutely love em - nothing wrong at all - in fact I had to fight the wife over who was going to have the double-yoked one for breakfast - she won.
We get them around one in a thousand eggs.

Jules said...

We had chickens when we were kids and ate the eggs, and this would happen every now and again - as kids we thought it was fabulous!!!

Tom said...

I could have these evey day if I so desired.. the Egg Stall in the local market sells them by the 1/2 dozen... when my Dad kept Chickens he would always keep the double yokes to one side and place one in each box of six... people would then buy more eggs from him.

Jim Klenke said...

Neat picture, I had never heard of such a thing.

alicesg said...

Wow interesting to know there are many double yolks out there. My american friend told me the same too that double yolks are common in her small town.

Anonymous said...

I love those double yolk eggs to have them fried!
Not much so we can take a piece of bread and dipp it into the yolks ... but don't have it a lot because I have to take care with fries and stuff like that!

by Danie said...

When I break a hazelnut and find two nuts in one shell, I share one, and eat the other, both persons make a wish. Did you make a wish when you found two eggs in the shell?

zakscloset said...

whoa! that is sooooo funny! a twin egg yolk! and very educational!!! thanks for sharing the information. how lucky are you to come across such a "rare" thing!!

alicesg said...

Kitem, I used them for marinating together with my chicken for frying. No idea about wishing. Next time I will do that. :)

Zak, I think I will freak out if I found a chick in it instead of double yolk. lol.

Anonymous said...

i brought a 6 pack of eggs at waitrose and each and every one had 2 yolks in it, it was amazing
1 in a thousand my arse