This bridge built in 1869 was originally known as the Edinburgh Bridge to commemorate the visit of the Duke of Edinburgh.
The bridge was renamed in honour of Colonel Cavenagh, the last India-appointed Governor of Singapore. It was originally planed as a drawbridge. However, it was found upon completion to be suitable only as a fixed structure. It is now a pedestrain bridge.
It used to be accessible to people, rickshaws and ox carts but it was overloaded with the flourishing trade of Singapore and now the bridge is only accessible to pedestrians.