Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My World Tuesday - Yishun

Been a long time since I visited Yishun, a heartland located north of Singapore. I used to visit Yishun almost every weekend when my kids were younger, cause at that time Yishun was a very vibrant heartland. Now twenty years later, the town is so much quieter and even the shophouses near the bus interchange are very empty.





The building where the shophouses are located is a two storey building. At that time, it seems to cater to the needs of the residents and shoppers but twenty years later, the building have to give way to better and taller buildings due to the space constraints of our tiny island.


The whole place looked like a ghost town with people still moving things out.





But nearby the famous chicken rice stall at another four storey building is not affected at the moment. I am surprised the chicken rice stall is still there after twenty years. You have to queue to order your food. This is a coffee shop/eating house. Owner of the coffee shop sells drinks/coffee/tea while renting out other stalls in the coffeeshop to different stall holders.


It is not cheap to rent these stalls some can cost S$3000 to S$6000 per month depending on the location of the shop.

Other stalls selling just as yumy and delicious food.



Please visit "That's my World" for other parts of the world.

4 comments:

Photo Cache said...

i haven't visited in a long time. hope you had a wonderful mother's day.

Sylvia K said...

Things do change -- sometimes for the better, sometimes not, but those restaurants look as though they've done very well! The food sounds delicious! Hope your week is off to a good start, Alice! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Mableinsingapore said...

Yishun is so far away from where I am. I cannot even remember when was the last time I was there. I guess the old has to give way sooner or later. Are they turning the place into some kind of a hub like Toa Payoh, AMK and Clementi I wonder.

alicesg said...

Mable, I have no idea. I guess it will be something like the newer malls i.e. the bus interchange will be air conditioned and under some mall.