Saturday, August 15, 2009

Housing from the past, present and future

Continuing from yesterday's post. Today, I will talk about the future, present and past housing all in one district.

The background of the new flats in Tanjong Pagar are really very beautiful and expensive and they are government's flats (HDB) built by private developers. The bridge (circled) are heavier than an aeroplane and they are built as roof gardens. These HDB flats are even more expensive than some private condominiums.

And these flats are all taken up (if I am not mistaken), the flats should be ready by next year. I wondered if the roof garden are open to anyone besides residents there, then I can go up and take photo of the garden. It must be quite scary to be high up there.

The high rise flats are symbols of our future housing, builting upwards in land scared Singapore. The lower block of flats are present flats build at least 30 years ago.

Oh I like these old shophouses, they are restored and preserved. These old shophouses are at least more than 100 years old. They even survived the world war II. My late grandmother used to live in one of these shophouses and it was so old and infested with rats as huge as a cat. I remembered having to put my legs up the sofa cause the rats are running under the sofa...hahaha...very scary.

After all the restoring and preservation, these shophouses are now worth more than a million dollars.

You can read more about the history of these shophouses in wikipedia.

Although we are progressing very quickly, we dont forget our past and histories.

What type of housing do you like?

4 comments:

Anya said...

A bridge on a flat
I never seen before,
its really amazing :))
Singapora
is a very modern country:)
Have a nice weekend Alice !!

GMG said...

Mut confess that I prefer the old ones...

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Alice,

Did your grandma live near to 27 Tanjong Pagar Road? it was a Beauty Salon?

My Dad's Singapore part of the family lived there. My uncle was a very VIP person. May be yr Mum might know. A Chan somebody.

alicesg said...

Ann, my late grandma lived near Hill Street.

Oh I think I know who your uncle is. :) Does that mean your surname is also Chan?