Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Whampoa Part 2-HDB Shophouses

Continuing from my post about Whampoa Estate, here are shophouses that been here for a long time, at least more than 20 years.

These shophouses are known as HDB Shophouses located in the heartland of Singapore where majority of Singaporeans lived. Most of the times you can bargain for your products for about 10 to 20% discount unless they are fixed price. Sometimes, you can find things you cannot find in big shopping malls. You have to return to visit my post on the market place in next few posts.

Most of the shopowners lived above their shops and these shophouses are not cheap, some are sold for about a million dollars and the owner would then rent out or use for their own. My sister had one shophouse just like the one on the right. She stay above her shop.

Please return for more interesting post on whampoa estate.

9 comments:

fashion jewelry said...

Very beautiful city

Tom said...

Wow these are neat.. I like the coulours of this building.. I suppose this is like our 'Cornershops over here in the UK... at the end of a row of terrace houses one will be a shop for the locals.. They used to do very very well years ago but now mostly sell just a few groceries, newspapers, and Wines, beer, and such like. I willcall back to see the market...
Thank you for your continued friendship, visits and comments over on my Wiggers World blog.. we must have been sharing our blogs for 2 years or so now.. Thank you.
Tom
My postings today are Tree Views and some Flowers And A Poem

escape said...

that place is too beautiful for bargain shops! truly amazing singapore.

when i visit singapore, can we meet?

Unknown said...

Interesting to see how well they are maintained.

Rajesh said...

Very intersting.

Lara said...

that saves time travelling to your job!

Unknown said...

I used to live above a shop house when I was young. My parents did business downstairs selling dried fish etc. Those were the days:)

Anya said...

I wish we could
go shopping there Alice :)

Rambling Woods said...

I am bad at bargaining..I would rather that everything just be the price that it should be and save me the trouble..lol...Michelle