Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My World Tuesday-Bugis Street Shopping

Sick of shopping in those big malls? Try shopping in Singapore Largest Street Shopping Paradise in Bugis Street.

Bugis Street was previously well knowned internationally for its nightly gathering of transvestite beauties who paraded its sidewalks.Today, the original Bugis Street is now a shopping street. On the other hand, the lane presently known as "Bugis Street" is called "the largest street-shopping location in Singapore".

Over here you can find good bargains and if they are not fixed price, you could actually bargain about 20% discount unless it is your lucky day you could actually get 30% discount, that's what J and I found out...lol.

It is no longer so stuffy shopping in here cause they have renovated the place with higher ceilings and huge fans.

There are many stalls selling food and snacks.

Now this is cute. That is a jackfruit and it is decorated with a wig and tomatoes for eyes and a carrot for its nose and banana for its mouth...lol


It belongs to this fruit juice stall. Oh I love watermelon juice.



Please visit "That's my World" for other parts of the world.

19 comments:

Photo Cache said...

Another must see place. I wonder if locals actually go there too? Or this simply for tourists?

SandyCarlson said...

So very many choices!

Unknown said...

Hi Alice, I have heard of this famous place but never been there, will keep that in mind in my next visit.

alicesg said...

M. Kate, you could take the MRT and alight at Bugis MRT Station (the station is underneath Bugis Junction Shopping Complex). The Street Shopping is just directly opposite Bugis Junction.

L. Neusiedler said...

another wonderful and interesting view of your world!

LadyFi said...

This brings back lovely memories of street shopping in Hong Kong.

That jackfruit looks great!

Anya said...

Great shopping place,
not good for your money ..... LOL
Lovely friendly shots !!

Erin said...

great post alice. so like seeing the locals at the market. have you even thought about taking shots of the "locals" at night?
have a wonderful evening.

Mark Kreider said...

I love looking at your world. The bread photo is making me hungry. Your blog is great, the pics are well shot and interesting. Keep up the good work. I'll see you later!

Asian Traveler said...

I love the variety of food offered at bugis street. Yummy!

Meanwhile, I have a new article about the ATMOSTFEAR. Visit my page if you have time. Thanks. :)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love markets. It looks like yours has a lot goint on.

Alexander said...

Interesting coverage. Nice to see the Jackfruit head. haha...

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

alicesg said...

Thanks all for the nice comments.

Erin, hehehe, I guess you noticed I dont have much night photos. I used to be a night person when I was young, going to disco, etc.

But as I age, I prefer to stay at night and watch TV...lol. Now, it is my sons' turn going out at night to PUB, etc. I am going to be like and sound like my mother...hahaha.

Ok, I will try to take some night photo of the locals if possible but I really do not like to take photo of people.

Rajesh said...

Shopping at smaller old shops is a nice experience by itself. One can get away from the sophistication of malls.

Arija said...

I love watermelon juice as well. We used to drink a lot of water melon and sugar cane juice in Singapore. Yes, Bugis Street used to be very colourful indeed! Nice to keep up with the changes.

Jim Klenke said...

This is a place I would like. But I would have to stay away from the snack shops.

escape said...

thats the happiest jackfruit ive seen. hahaha...

CC said...

Love the fruit with the happy face and I also love watermelon and watermelon juice. Yummmmmmm.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Alice: That looks like a neat place to visit.